Plenty of rain and the daffodils understandably have not felt inclined to flower. I can’t blame them, I would not bother to flower either myself.
Meanwhile inside a warm workshop in Stroud the doors and windows of the Palace Yurt have been completed. And the intricate roof structure is under way. At Hilles the foundations of the 350sqm Palace Yurt have been dug by Hector Cobbe and his team. Piles of wooden planks have been delivered and are waiting to find their new home.
The outdoor team have rolled their sleeves up, kept themselves going with lots of hot drinks, and ignored the rain.
My friends from London came to stay for Easter with their children aged between 4 -10 years old. My brother Amaury arranged an Easter egg hunt in the garden. We had activities of watercolour painting, dressing up, and hide and seek games. We all did our best as a 21st century adults to keep the children from their tablet addiction.
We feasted on Easter day on spring lamb (which needs less cooking) from the local Portway farm shop. Root vegetables and cheeses from Saturdays farmers market in Stroud, local apple juice from Days Cottage, Brookthorpe and fine wine from Raffles in Nailsworth. To acknowledge my tropical Sri Lankan maternal background we had pineapple from the Co-op. The day before we had a delicious fish pie from our favoured caterer Wesley Birch.
On Monday at 8am my London friend who works at the Tate who is also my son’s Godfather, took Holy Communion at Gloucester Cathedral.
My son Sasha has spent the Easter holidays with his Portuguese grandmother on the volcanic Island of Porto Santo (next to Madeira) in the Atlantic. I am looking forward very much to seeing him on the 11th April. He will spend the summer term here learning to play cricket.
Everyone is working very hard. My betrothed Martha Fiennes is off tomorrow to Warsaw for film post production work.
The wild garlic is coming through and is happily not troubled by the lack of sunshine. I will update on the progress of the daffodils.